Saturday, November 11, 2006

Train them in the way of the Lord

Jessica just recently posted on her blog about McKenzie's prayer request and this is my account of the same.

I noticed last wednesday night that McKenzie had wandered off from our dinner table as we were in fellowship with some friends over some Frogmore Stew. I went in search for her and noticed her down the hall sitting in front of the sanctuary doors and she looked very solemn. Feeling my heart kind of break at my child's sadness I knelt down beside her and asked her if she was ok. Without a word she opened her hands and showed me the prayer request card she had retrieved from the back of the pew. To my amazement she had already written her request. On the first line she had "McKenzie" and a few lines down was "MOM". On the actual request line I helped her complete it by spelling out "shoulder". I must say that God still amazes me by how He speaks to our children, and how He speaks to us through them. From this little self-less act was a lesson that God can speak to any heart that is open to Him and that prayer is the most powerful tool we have on this Earth. Jesus said, "Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of heaven belongs to such as these."- Matt. 19:14. It is my prayer that I become like a child, pure in heart and motive and pursue God and rest my faith upon him daily.

I also want to take this time to thank God for the the people that He has brought into my life from my parents, grandparents, and extended family and friends that taught me as a child to give my life to God and serve Him. These are the people that have shown me of how to raise my children in the way of the Lord.

"Fathers, do not exasperate your children; instead, bring them up in the training and instruction of the Lord." - Ephesians 6:4

4 Comments:

At 5:40 PM, Blogger Lori said...

I thank God for you and Jessica. You are both an inspiration to me and I am so thankful for the friendships that are forming and will last forever.

 
At 10:05 PM, Blogger Jack said...

I remember that. She was running around the sanctuary that night looking so distrought, I was in there by myself trying to prepare for Wed. night's lesson, when she came in there running back and forth as if she were looking for something. For a momment I thought that she reminded of me of a child who was lost at wal-mart. So I said "hey McKenzie! What's wrong?" and she proceeded to tell me that she had a prayer request about her mommy and that there was some where she was suppose to put it or,drop it off. She just had to give it to God. Like a hungry farmer who couldn't wait to get his seed in the ground. I told her if she wanted, I would take it and pray about it, but she said " no that's okay." So I directed her to where the preacher was and she ran off as fast as she could. There is no doubt that God heard that little girl's prayer. I think we could all learn so much from our childeren. I mean she's only 5 and she already gets it.

 
At 7:30 AM, Blogger Angie said...

I am also thankful for you guys. God brought you both into my life for many reasons that are being revealed daily. I thank Him for you everyday!

 
At 5:48 PM, Blogger Carla said...

Jerimiah, if you are reading this then you have no excuse for not posting a new blog..... Ha Gotcha. Anyway I miss hearing from ya man.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home